Anolis roosevelti GRANT, 1931
We have no photos, try to find some by Google images search:
|Higher Taxa||Dactyloidae, Iguania, Sauria, Squamata (lizards) |
|Common Names||Culebra Giant Anole |
|Synonym||Anolis velifer REINHARDT & LÜTKEN 1863|
Anolis roosevelti GRANT 1931: 219
Anolis roosevelti — SCHWARTZ & HENDERSON 1991: 327
Anolis roosevelti — MAYER 2011
Xiphosurus roosevelti — NICHOLSON et al. 2012
|Distribution||Isla Culebra, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands (British), Virgin Islands (US)|
Type locality: Isla Culebra.
velifer: Vieques, Tortola, and St. John (only
- Region according to the TDWG standard, not a precise distribution map.
NOTE: TDWG regions are generated automatically from the text in the distribution field and not in every cases it works well. We are working on it.
|Types||Holotype: MCZ 36136. |
|Comment||For illustrations see Grant, 1931; Dodd and Campbell, 1982.|
Conservation: Anolis roosevelti is the only species of anole thought to have gone extinct in historical times, at least it has not been seen since 1932. The species is known from only 8 specimens. No photos of live specimens seem to exist (Losos in Anole Annals).
Species group: Xiphosurus cuvieri species group (fide NICHOLSON et al. 2012).
- Beolens, Bo; Michael Watkins, and Michael Grayson 2011. The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, USA - get paper here
- Dodd, C. K, Jr. and H. W. Campbell. 1982. Anolis roosevelti. Catalogue of American Amphibians and Reptiles (300. - get paper here
- Dodd, C. Kenneth, Jr. 1979. A bibliography of endangered and threatened amphibians and reptiles in the United States and its territories (conservation, distribution, natural history, status). Smithsonian Herp. Inf. Serv. (46): 1-35 - get paper here
- Grant, C. 1931. A new species and two new sub-species of the genus Anolis. Jour. Dept. Agric. Puerto Rico 15: 219-222.
- Grant, C. 1932. Herpetological notes from the Puerto Rico area. Jour. Dept. Agric. Puerto Rico 16 (1): 161-165
- Kessler, Ava Gaa Ojeda 2010. The Culebra Island Giant Anole (Anolis roosevelti). Anolis Newsletter VI: 75
- Mayer,G.C. 2011. A Brief History of Anoles in Research. Anole Annals 26 Aug 2011 - get paper here
- NICHOLSON, KIRSTEN E.; BRIAN I. CROTHER, CRAIG GUYER & JAY M. SAVAGE 2012. It is time for a new classification of anoles (Squamata: Dactyloidae). Zootaxa 3477: 1–108
- Poe, S. 2004. Phylogeny of anoles. Herpetological Monographs 18: 37-89 - get paper here
- Poe, S. 2013. 1986 Redux: New genera of anoles (Squamata: Dactyloidae) are unwarranted. Zootaxa 3626 (2): 295–299 - get paper here
- Revell, Liam J.; D. Luke Mahler, R. Graham Reynolds and Graham J. Slater 2015. Placing cryptic, recently extinct, or hypothesized taxa into an ultrametric phylogeny using continuous character data: A case study with the lizard Anolis roosevelti. Evolution, 69: 1027–1035. doi: 10.1111/evo.12628 - get paper here
- Schwartz, A. & Henderson, R.W. 1991. Amphibians and Reptiles of the West Indies. University of Florida Press, Gainesville, 720 pp.
Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator