Anolis fairchildi BARBOUR & SHREVE, 1935
We have no photos, try to find some by Google images search:
|Higher Taxa||Dactyloidae, Iguania, Sauria, Squamata (lizards) |
|Common Names||E: Cay Sal Anole |
|Synonym||Anolis fairchildi BARBOUR & SHREVE 1935: 357|
Anolis fairchildi — SCHWARTZ & HENDERSON 1991: 263
Anolis fairchildi — NICHOLSON et al. 2012
Anolis fairchildi — NICHOLSON et al. 2018
Type locality: Cay Sal, Bahama Islands.
|Types||Holotype: USNM 81527. |
|Comment||synonymy: Reynolds et al. 2018 found A. fairchildi to nest within A. porcatus. However, they haven’t synonymized fairchildi with porcatus, pending further study.|
For illustrations see Schwartz and Henderson, 1985.
Species group: Anolis carolinensis species group (fide NICHOLSON et al. 2012).
|Etymology||Named after Dr. David Grandison Fairchild (1869-1954), a botanist and explorer after whom the botanical gardens in Coral Gables, Florida, were named. |
- Barbour, T. and B. Shreve. 1935. Concerning some Bahamian reptiles, with notes on the fauna. Proc. Boston Soc. Nat. Hist. 40: 347-365.
- Beolens, Bo; Michael Watkins, and Michael Grayson 2011. The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, USA - get paper here
- NICHOLSON, KIRSTEN E.; BRIAN I. CROTHER, CRAIG GUYER & JAY M. SAVAGE 2012. It is time for a new classification of anoles (Squamata: Dactyloidae). Zootaxa 3477: 1–108 - get paper here
- NICHOLSON, KIRSTEN E.; BRIAN I. CROTHER, CRAIG GUYER & JAY M. SAVAGE 2018. Translating a clade based classification into one that is valid under the international code of zoological nomenclature: the case of the lizards of the family Dactyloidae (Order Squamata). Zootaxa 4461 (4): 573–586 - get paper here
- Poe, S. 2013. 1986 Redux: New genera of anoles (Squamata: Dactyloidae) are unwarranted. Zootaxa 3626 (2): 295–299 - get paper here
- Reynolds, R. Graham; Alberto R. Puente-Rolón, Amy L. Castle, Martijn Van De Schoot, and Anthony J. Geneva 2018. Herpetofauna of Cay Sal Bank, Bahamas and Phylogenetic Relationships of Anolis fairchildi, Anolis sagrei, and Tropidophis curtus from the Region. Breviora May 560 (1): 1-19. - get paper here
- Schwartz, A. & Henderson, R.W. 1991. Amphibians and Reptiles of the West Indies. University of Florida Press, Gainesville, 720 pp.
- Schwartz, A. and Henderson, R.W. 1985. A guide to the identification of the amphibians and reptiles of the West Indies exclusive of Hispaniola. Milwaukee Public Mus., 165 pp.
Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator