|Distribution||N Honduras, elevation 1450-2050 m|
Type locality: eastern slope of Pico Pijol, NW of Tegucigalpa, Dpto. Yoro, Honduras, elevation 2050 m, 15° 10' N, 87° 33’ W
|Comment||Norops pijolense is closely related to N. purpurgularis and N. (= Anolis) johnmeyeri of Honduras, as well as to other members of the group from Mexico and Guatemala as recognized in a recent review of this group. Its combination of relatively large middorsal scales, unicarinate scales on the forelegs, enlarged postanals in males, well-developed parietal depression, and rose-colored dewlap with a central purplish spot readily distinguishes it from the remaining species in the schiedei group.|
Species group: Norops auratus Species Group (fide Nicholson et al. 2012)
- Köhler, G. 2000. Reptilien und Amphibien Mittelamerikas, Bd 1: Krokodile, Schildkröten, Echsen. Herpeton Verlag, Offenbach, 158 pp.
- Köhler, G. 2008. Reptiles of Central America. 2nd Ed. Herpeton-Verlag, 400 pp.
- Köhler, Gunther and Eric N. Smith 2008. A New Species of Anole of the Norops schiedei group from Western Guatemala (Squamata: Polychrotidae). Herpetologica 64 (2): 216-223 - get paper here
- McCranie J R. Wilson L D. Williams K L. 1993. Another new species of lizard of the Norops schiedei group (Sauria: Polychrotidae) from northern Honduras. Journal of Herpetology 27 (4): 393-399 - get paper here
- McCranie, James R. 2015. A checklist of the amphibians and reptiles of Honduras, with additions, comments on taxonomy, some recent taxonomic decisions, and areas of further studies needed. Zootaxa 3931 (3): 352–386 - get paper here
- McCranie, James R. 2018. The Lizards, Crocodiles, and Turtles of Honduras. Systematics, Distribution, and Conservation. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Special Publication Series (2): 1- 666 - get paper here
- McCranie, James R. and Gunther Köhler 2015. The Anoles (Reptilia: Squamata: Dactyloidae: Anolis: Norops) of Honduras. Systematics, Distribution, and Conservation. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. Harvard (Special Publication Series, No. 1): 1-280 [review in Q. J. Biol. 91: 227] - get paper here
- Nicholson, K.E. 2002. Phylogenetic analysis and a test of the current infrageneric classification of Norops (beta Anolis). Herpetological Monographs 16: 93-120 - get paper here
- NICHOLSON, KIRSTEN E.; BRIAN I. CROTHER, CRAIG GUYER & JAY M. SAVAGE 2018. Translating a clade based classification into one that is valid under the international code of zoological nomenclature: the case of the lizards of the family Dactyloidae (Order Squamata). Zootaxa 4461 (4): 573–586 - get paper here
- Poe, S. 2013. 1986 Redux: New genera of anoles (Squamata: Dactyloidae) are unwarranted. Zootaxa 3626 (2): 295–299 - get paper here
- Solís, J. M., L. D. Wilson, and J. H. Townsend. 2014. An updated list of the amphibians and reptiles of Honduras, with comments on their nomenclature. Mesoamerican Herpetology 1: 123–144 - get paper here
- Townsend, Josiah H.; Larry David Wilson 2009. New Species of Cloud Forest Anolis (Squamata: Polychrotidae) in the crassulus Group from Parque Nacional Montaña de Yoro, Honduras. Copeia, 2009 (1): 62-70 - get paper here