|Etymology||Named after Georgian biologist Dr. Rostombekov. The original spelling of Rostombekov’s rock lizard was based on the transliteration of the Russian character “B” to a “w.” This spelling appears on several pages in the original publication (Darevsky, 1957), including the description (p. 35), tables of scale characteristics (p. 37, 53), figures (Fig. 4), text etc. However, in subsequent transliterations the Russian character appears as a “v,” the spelling changed to rostombekovi by Darevsky (Darevskii, 1967) to parallel more recent transliterations of Russian. According to Article 32 (c, ii) of the Code, (International Union of Biological Sciences, 1985), this change in spelling from rostombekowi to rostombekovi does not fall into the category of a “correction of an incorrect original spelling” because changes to correct transliterations, that is to correct for the use of a “w” as opposed to a “v,” are disallowed. Consequently, the correct spelling of Rostombekov’s rock lizard is Lacerta rostombekowi (Murphy 1999). |
- Abramjan, A., Arakelyan, M., & Frynta, D. 2020. Does reproductive mode affect sexually selected colouration? Evaluating UV-blue spots in parthenogenetic and bisexual lizards of the genus Darevskia. Current Zoology - get paper here
- Arakelyan, Marine S.; Felix D. Danielyan, Claudia Corti, Roberto Sindaco, and Alan E. Leviton 2011. The Herpetofauna of Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh. SSAR, Salt Lake City, 154 pp. [ISBN: 978-0-916984-84-7.]
- Arnold, E.N.; Arribas, O. & Carranza, S. 2007. Systematics of the Palaearctic and Oriental lizard tribe Lacertini (Squamata: Lacertidae: Lacertinae), with descriptions of eight new genera. Zootaxa 1430: 1-86 - get paper here
- BADER, T. & KOPECZKY, R. & RIEGLER, C. & WIELAND, F. 2016. Die Eidechsen Armeniens – Teil 1: Die Gattung Darevskia. Die Eidechse 27 (1): 1-14.
- Beolens, Bo; Michael Watkins, and Michael Grayson 2011. The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, USA - get paper here
- Bunyatova, S.N;S.K.Dzhafarova 2019. Study of the distribution and number of the genus Darevskia Arribas lizards, 1997 (Reptilia, Sauria, Lacertidae) in Azerbaijan. PROCEEDINGS OF THE VII CONGRESS OF THE NIKOLSKY HERPETOLOGICAL SOCIETY, in University proceedings. Volga region. Natural sciences” 1: 12-19 - get paper here
- Darevsky, I.S. 1966. Natural parthogenesis in a polymorphic group of Caucasian Rock lizards related to Lacerta saxicola EVERSMANN. Journ. Ohio Herpetol. Soc.5 (4): 115-152 - get paper here
- Darevsky, I.S. 1967. ON THE TAXONOMIC STATUS OF PARTHENOGENETIC FORMS OF ROCK LIZARDS (LACERTA SAXICOLA EVERSMANN) AS RELATED TO THE APPLICATION OF SPECIES CRITERIA TO AGAMIC SPECIES. [in Russian] Russian Journal of Zoology. 46(3): 413-419
- Darevsky, I.S. & Uzzell, T. & Kupriyanova, L.A: & Danielyan, F.D. 1973. Triploid hybrid males in sympatric populations of some parthenogenetic and bisexual species of rock lizards of the genus Lacerta. [in Russian] Bulletin of Moscow Society of Naturalists, 78 (1): 48-58
- Darevsky,I.S. 1957. Systematics and ecology of rock lizards (Lacerta saxicola Eversmann) in Armenia [in Russian]. Zool. sb. AN Armenia SSR 10: 27-57 - get paper here
- Engelmann, W.E. et al. 1993. Lurche und Kriechtiere Europas. Neumann Verlag (Radebeul, Germany), 440 pp.
- Kupriyanova, L. A. 1994. Structure, localization and stability of chromosomes in karyotype evolution in lizards of the Lacertidae family. Russ. J. Herpetol. 1 (2): 161-168 - get paper here
- Martirosyan, I.A.; Ryskov, A.P.; Petrosyan, V.G.; Arakelyan, M.S.; Aslanyan, A.V.; Danielyan, F.D.; Darevsky, I.S.; Tokarskaya, O.N. 2002. Variation of mini- and microsatellite DNA markers in populations of parthenogenetic rock lizard Darevskia rostombekovi. Russian Journal of Genetics 38 (6): 691-698.
- Murphy, R.W.; Fu,J.; MacCulloch, R.D.; Darevsky,I.S. & Kupriyanova,L.A. 2000. A fine line between sex and unisexuality: the phylogenetic constraints on parthenogenesis in lacertid lizards. Zool. J. Linnean Soc. 130: 527-549
- Murphy, Robert W. 1999. The correct spelling of the Latinized name for Rostombekov's rock lizard. Amphibia-Reptilia 20 (2): 225-226 - get paper here
- Ryabinina, N. L., V. V. Grechko, S. K. Semenova and I. S. Darevsky 1999. On the hybridiogenous origin of the parthenogenetic species Lacerta dahli and Lacerta rostombekovi revealed by Rapid technique. Russ. J. Herpetol. 6 (1): 55-60 - get paper here
- Sindaco, R. & Jeremcenko, V.K. 2008. The reptiles of the Western Palearctic. Edizioni Belvedere, Latina (Italy), 579 pp. - get paper here
- Szczerbak, N.N. 2003. Guide to the Reptiles of the Eastern Palearctic. Krieger, Malabar, FL, 260 pp. - get paper here