Enyalius capetinga BREITMAN, DOMINGOS, BAGLEY, FERRARI, CAVALCANTE, PEREIRA, ABREU, DE LIMA, MORAIS, DEL PRETTE, SILVA, MELLO, CARVALHO, LIMA, SILVA, MATIAS, CARVALHO, PANTOJA, GOMES, PASCHOALETTO, RODRIGUES, TALARICO, BARRETO-LIMA & COLLI, 2018
Can you confirm these amateur observations of Enyalius capetinga?
|Higher Taxa||Leiosauridae (Enyaliinae), Iguania, Sauria, Squamata (lizards)|
|Synonym||Enyalius capetinga BREITMAN, DOMINGOS, BAGLEY, FERRARI, CAVALCANTE, PEREIRA, ABREU, DE LIMA, MORAIS, DEL PRETTE, SILVA, MELLO, CARVALHO, LIMA, SILVA, MATIAS, CARVALHO, PANTOJA, GOMES, PASCHOALETTO, RODRIGUES, TALARICO, BARRETO-LIMA & COLLI 2018|
Enyalius bilineatus — RODRIGUES et al. 2006: 11
Enyalius bilineatus — RODRIGUES et al. 2014: 137
Enyalius bilineatus — LEDO & COLLI 2016: 98
Enyalius aff. bilineatus — NOGUEIRA et al. 2009: 83
|Distribution||Brazil (Distrito Federal, Cerrado, and nearby localities in Minas Gerais)|
Type locality: Reserva Ecológica do IBGE (Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (Fig. 7 in Breitman et al. 2019), Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil, (15.9467°S, 47.8686°W; 1154 m elevation [asl]; datum = WGS84).
|Types||Holotype: UNB 74591 (given as CHUNB for the Coleção Herpetológica) (Figs. 4, 5), adult male collected by Ana Cecília Holler Del Prette and Anderson Kennedy Soares de Lima on 10 June 2016. Paratypes: UNB (= CHUNB)|
|Diagnosis||Diagnosis. Enyalius capetinga differs from E. bilineatus mainly in having fewer ventral (34.45 +/- 2.25 [29–40] vs. 43.2 +/- 4.06 [35–49] in E. bilineatus) and dorsolateral tibial scales (10.38 +/- 1.29 [8–13] vs. 12.52 +/- 0.59 [12–14] in E. bilineatus), and a higher number of midbody (52.96 +/- 4.34 [42–64] vs. 45.8 +/- 3.64 [39–52] in E. bilineatus) and vertebral scales (68.8 +/- 4.94 [55–82] vs. 63.56 +/- 4.88 [52– 70] in E. bilineatus; Table 2; Supplemental Materials 2 and 10). Also, all samples of E. capetinga present granular lateral scales, whereas only 32% of E. bilineatus samples present this character state, and the remaining individuals (68%) present non-granular scales. Enyalius capetinga differs from all other species of the genus (excluding E. bilineatus; see character summary in Table 2 and Supplemental Materials 2, 10) mainly in having the smallest count of ventral scales (34.45 +/- 2.25), supraciliaries (6.59 +/- 1.64), paravertebral scales (63.84 6 5.96), dorsolateral tibials (10.38 6 1.29), supralabials (7.86 6 1.03), and scales from mental to gular fold (34.34 +/- 4.04). Likewise, the new species is distinguished from all others in the genus by having keels on most dorsal scales. Enyalius capetinga differs from most other Enyalius species in lacking contact between nasal and postrostral scales (absent in 89% of the samples), which is common in most other species (excluding E. bilineatus and E. pictus); having an enlarged subocular scale (present in 96% of E. capetinga samples) that is smaller in the majority (.70%) of individuals of other species (except E. bilineatus, E. pictus, and E. erythroceneus). Enyalius capetinga differs from E. leechii in having a dorsal crest and smooth fourth toe lamellae, from E. bibronii in having keeled ventral scales, and from E. boulengeri and E. brasiliensis in having smooth infracarpals (Supplemental Material 2) [Breitman et al. 2019].|
|Comment||Habitat: gallery forests, nearby areas of cerrado|
|Etymology||The specific epithet of this species is a Portuguese word that refers to Capetinga Creek, located in Fazenda Água Limpa,property of Universidade de Brasília, ~7 km SW of the type locality, where GRC collected the first specimens of Enyalius capetinga in November 1987. Capetinga is formed by the combination of the Tupinambá language (Tupi-Guarani) words ‘‘kapi’’’ (grass) and ‘‘tinga’’ (dry/white), meaning ‘‘dry grass.’’ We also chose this name for the resemblance with ‘‘capeta,’’ a Portuguese word for ‘‘devil’’ or ‘‘bugbear.’’ “Sometimes, while conducting our investigation and dealing with the complex interactions of academic life, we felt as if the capeta was coming to get us!” (Breitman et al. 2019)|
As link to this species use URL address:
without field 'search_param'. Field 'search_param' is used for browsing search result.