|Diagnosis||Diagnosis (genus): The species of Nannoscincus are all small in size (maximum snout vent length range 34-52.5 mm) with an *elongate body, *short limbs and digits, and relatively *short tail (maximum tail length range 85-105% of SVL). The ear opening is *diminutive, or absent in some species. [*denotes apomorphic character states within the Eugongylus group as defined by Sadlier, 2010] [SADLIER 1987: 55, SADLIER et al. 2014].|
Diagnosis: Nannoscincus fuscus is characterized by a broad transverse basal scale common to the 3rd and 4th digits only of the manus, and with the 1st supraciliary contacting the frontal scale. This species occurs on southernmost ranges of the Chaîne Central (Mt. Vulcain, Mt. Dzumac) and adjacent massifs on the west coast (Mt. Mou) [SADLIER et al. 2014: 62].
- Adler,G.H.; Austin,C.C. & Dudley,R. 1995. Dispersal and speciation of skinks among archipelagos in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Evolutionary Ecology 9: 529-541 - get paper here
- Bauer, A. M. & SADLIER, R. A. (eds.) 2000. The herpetofauna of New Caledonia. Contributions to Herpetology, 17; Society for Study Amphibians and Reptiles, Ithaca, New York.
- Bauer, A.M. & Sadlier,R.A. 1993. Systematics, biogeography and conservation of the lizards of New Caledonia. Biodiv. Lett. 1: 107-122 - get paper here
- Bauer, Aaron M.;Vindum, Jens V. 1990. A checklist and key to the herpetofauna of New Caledonia, with remarks on biogeography. Proc. Cal. Acad. Sci. 47 (2): 17-45 - get paper here
- Bavay,A. 1869. Catalogue des Reptiles de las Nouvelle - Caledonie et description d'especes nouvelles. Memoires Societe Linniene de Normandie 15: 1-37
- Greer, A.E. 1974. The generic relationships of the scincid lizard genus Leiolopisma and its relatives. Australian Journal of Zoology 31: 1-67. - get paper here
- Günther, A. 1872. On some new species of reptiles and fishes collected by J. Brenchley, Esq. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. (4) 10 (60): 418-426. - get paper here
- Langner, C. 2015. Auf der Suche nach Neukaledonischen Riesengeckos. Reptilia (Münster) 20 (113): 34-44 - get paper here
- Sadlier R A 1987. A review of the scincid lizards of New Caledonia. Rec. Austral. Mus. 39(1) 1987: 1-66  - get paper here
- Sadlier, R. A., A. M. BAUER & A. H. WHITAKER 2002. The scincid lizard genus Nannoscincus from New Caledonia in Southwest Pacific: a review of the morphology and distribution of species in the Nannoscincus mariei species group, including the description of three new species from Province Nord. Zoologica Neocaledonica 5. Systématic et endemisme en Nouvellee-Calédonie. pp 233-255. J. Naut & P. Grandcolas (Eds). Memoires du Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle, Vol. 187 , Paris
- Sadlier, R.A., Bauer, A.M., and Whitaker, A.H. 2002. The scincid lizard genus Nannoscincus Günther from New Caledonia in the southwest Pacific: a review of the morphology and distribution of species in the Nannoscincus mariei species group, including the description of three new species from the Provin Zoologica Neocaledonia 5, Mem. Mus. Natl. Hist. Nat. 187:269-276.
- SADLIER, Ross A.; Aaron M. BAUER, Perry L. WOOD Jr., Sarah A. SMITH, Anthony H. WHITAKER & Todd JACKMAN 2014. Cryptic speciation in the New Caledonian lizard genus Nannoscincus (Reptilia: Scincidae) including the description of a new species and recognition of Nannoscincus fuscus Gunther. Memoires du Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, 206: 45-68.
- Smith, M.A. 1937. A review of the genus Lygosoma (Scincidae: Reptilia) and its allies. Records of the Indian Museum 39 (3): 213-234