|Higher Taxa||Dactyloidae, Iguania, Sauria, Squamata (lizards) |
|Common Names|| |
|Synonym||Norops wampuensis MCCRANIE & KÖHLER, 2001|
Norops wampuensis — NICHOLSON 2002
Norops wampuensis — NICHOLSON et al. 2012
Norops wampuensis — MCCRANIE & KÖHLER 2015: 201
Type locality: confluence of Ríos Aner and Wampú, 15° 03’ N, 85° 07’ W, 110 m elevation, Olancho, Honduras.
|Types||Holotype: SMF 79902, adult male; paratypes: SMF, USNM, |
|Comment||Species group: Norops auratus Species Group (fide Nicholson et al. 2012). Norops tropidonotus complex (with N. compressicauda, N. tropidonotus, N. wampuensis, N. mccraniei, N. wilsoni, N. spilorhipis) fide Köhler et al. 2016.|
Synonymy: may be a synonym of A. tropidonotus (Gray 2015). However, McCranie 2017 rebutted Gray by emphasizing that “Norops wampuensis, as currently understood, is restricted to the undisturbed broadleaf rainforest (UBR) in NE Honduras, and N. tropidonotus has never been found in those forests. N. tropidonotus “is most common in open situations,” thus certainly not in closed canopy UBR.
Distribution: see map in KÖHLER et al. 2016: 27 (Fig. 9).
|Etymology||named after its type locality. |
- Gray, Levi. 2015. Book Review: The Anoles of Honduras. Herpetological Review 46 (4): 655-657
- Köhler, Gunther, Josiah H. Townsend and Claus Bo P. Petersen. 2016. Taxonomic revision of the Norops tropidonotus complex (Squamata, Dactyloidae), with the resurrection of N. spilorhipis (Alvarez del Toro and Smith, 1956) and the description of two new species. Mesoamerican Herpetology 3 (1): 8–41 - get paper here
- MCCRANIE, J. R. & G. KÖHLER 2001. A new species of anole from eastern Honduras related to Norops tropidonotus(Reptilia: Squamata: Polychrotidae). Senckenbergiana biologica 81: 227-234
- McCranie, James R. 2015. A checklist of the amphibians and reptiles of Honduras, with additions, comments on taxonomy, some recent taxonomic decisions, and areas of further studies needed. Zootaxa 3931 (3): 352–386 - get paper here
- MCCRANIE, JAMES R. 2017. Books, book reviews, anoles, and do we really know what we believe we know? Zootaxa 4290 (2): 377–379
- McCranie, James R. 2018. The Lizards, Crocodiles, and Turtles of Honduras. Systematics, Distribution, and Conservation. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Special Publication Series (2): 1- 666 - get paper here
- McCranie, James R. and Gunther Köhler 2015. The Anoles (Reptilia: Squamata: Dactyloidae: Anolis: Norops) of Honduras. Systematics, Distribution, and Conservation. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. Harvard (Special Publication Series, No. 1): 1-280 [review in Q. J. Biol. 91: 227] - get paper here
- Nicholson, K.E. 2002. Phylogenetic analysis and a test of the current infrageneric classification of Norops (beta Anolis). Herpetological Monographs 16: 93-120 - get paper here
- Poe, S. 2013. 1986 Redux: New genera of anoles (Squamata: Dactyloidae) are unwarranted. Zootaxa 3626 (2): 295–299 - get paper here
- Solís, J. M., L. D. Wilson, and J. H. Townsend. 2014. An updated list of the amphibians and reptiles of Honduras, with comments on their nomenclature. Mesoamerican Herpetology 1: 123–144 - get paper here
- Wilson, L.D. & McCranie, J.R. 2003. The conservation status of the herpetofauna of Honduras. Amphibian & Reptile Conservation 3 (1): 6-33 - get paper here