|Higher Taxa||Gekkonidae, Gekkota, Sauria, Squamata (lizards: geckos) |
|Common Names||E: Libo Gecko|
|Synonym||Gekko liboensis ZHOU, LIU & LI 1982|
Gekko liboensis — BAUER 1994
Gekko liboensis — MATSUI & OTA 1995
Gekko liboensis — LUU et al. 2014
Gekko liboensis — YANG 2015
Gekko liboensis — LUU et al. 2015
Gekko liboensis — JONO et al. 2015
Gekko (Japonigekko) liboensis — WOOD et al. 2019
|Distribution||China (Guizhou, Guangxi)|
Type locality: Chengguan (Chengkwang), Libo Prefecture, Guizhou, southern China, elevation 430 m.
|Types||Holotype: ZMC (given as TMC) 791669, female (Department of Biology, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi, Guizhou, China) |
|Diagnosis||Diagnosis: Jono et al. 2015 did not provide a proper (revised) diagnosis but the main difference between liboensis and hokuensis appears to be the larger size in liboensis (66-91 mm SVL vs. 51-70 mm in hokuensis), the number of precloacal pores (10-12 in liboensis vs. 6-10 in hokuensis), and the number of dorsal tubercle rows (4–10 vs. 12–18 in hokouensis). Although there appears to be no genetic data on liboensis, we keep the two species as separate due to their non-overlapping range. |
|Comment||Similar species: G. hokouensis.|
Abundance: very rare. The species has been described based on a single female from Libo, after which only three specimens (two females and one juvenile) have been reported from the type locality. Only recently, Jono et al. 2015 report 31 newly obtained specimens of G. liboensis from type locality.
Synonymy: Gekko liboensis ZHOU, LIU & LI 1982 has been synonymized with Gekko hokouensis by ZHAO & ADLER 1993.
Distribution: See map in Jono et al. 2015 (Fig. 1).
|Etymology||This new species, “kwangsiensis”, is named after its type locality, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China (Kwangsi is the former spelling of Guangxi). |
- Bauer, A.M. 1994. Liste der rezenten Amphibien und Reptilien: Gekkonidae I (Australia). Das Tierreich, Vol. 108, W. de Gruyter & Co. (Berlin)
- JONO, Teppei; Li DING, Takuma KAITO, Yezhong TANG, and Mamoru TODA 2015. Reevaluation of the Taxonomic Status of a Poorly Known Gecko, Gekko liboensis (Reptilia: Squamata). Asian Herpetological Research 6 (3): 229–236
- LUU, VINH QUANG; THOMAS CALAME, TRUONG QUANG NGUYEN, MINH DUC LE& THOMAS ZIEGLER 2015. Morphological and molecular review of the Gekko diversity of Laos with descriptions of three new species. Zootaxa 3986 (3): 279–306 - get paper here
- LUU, VINH QUANG; THOMAS CALAME, TRUONG QUANG NGUYEN, MINH DUC LE, MICHAEL BONKOWSKI & THOMAS ZIEGLER 2014. A new species of the Gekko japonicus group (Squamata: Gekkonidae) from central Laos. Zootaxa 3895 (1): 073–088 - get paper here
- LUU, VINH QUANG; TRUONG QUANG NGUYEN, MINH DUC LE, MICHAEL BONKOWSKI, THOMAS ZIEGLER 2017. A new karst dwelling species of the Gekko japonicus group (Squamata: Gekkonidae) from central Laos. Zootaxa 4263 (1): 179-193 - get paper here
- Matsui, T. & Ota, H. 1995. On Chinese herpetology. Herpetologica 51 (2): 234-250 - get paper here
- Wang, Kai; Jinlong Ren, Hongman Chen, Zhitong Lyu, Xianguang Guo Ke Jiang, Jinmin Chen, Jiatang Li, Peng Guo, Yingyong Wang, Jing Che 2020. The updated checklists of amphibians and reptiles of China. Biodiversity Science 28 (2): 189-218 - get paper here
- Wood Jr, Perry L.; Xianguang Guo, Scott L. Travers, Yong-Chao Su, Karen V. Olson, Aaron M. Bauer, L. Lee Grismer, Cameron D. Siler, Robert G. Moyle, Michael J. Andersen, Rafe M. Brown 2019. Parachute geckos free fall into synonymy: Gekko phylogeny, and a new subgeneric classification, inferred from thousands of ultraconserved elements. bioRxiv 717520 - get paper here
- YANG, JIAN-HUAN 2015. A new species of the genus Gekko Laurenti (Squamata: Sauria: Gekkonidae) from Guangxi, China. Zootaxa 3936 (2): 287–295 - get paper here
- Zhou K Y; Liu Y Z; Li D J 1989. Three new species of Gekko and remarks on Gekko hokouensis (Lacertiformes, Gekkonidae). Smithsonian Herp. Inf. Serv. (77): 1-10 [Translated from original Chinese from: Acta Zootaxonomia Sinica 7(4) 1982] - get paper here