|Higher Taxa||Gekkonidae, Gekkota, Sauria, Squamata (lizards: geckos) |
|Common Names||Yakushima Gecko |
|Synonym||Gekko yakuensis MATSUI & OKADA 1968|
Gekko yakuensis — KLUGE 1993
Gekko yakuensis — OTA 1989: 235
Gekko yakuensis — RÖSLER 2000: 82
|Distribution||Japan (Kyushu, NE Ryukyu Islands: Yakushima, Tanegashima)|
Type locality: Anbo, Yakushima, Ryukyu Archipelago.
|Types||Holotype: JSC *** #522, adult female (cited in original description like this, with asterisks etc., Japan Snake Center, Yabuduka-cho Ota, Gunma Prefecture, Japan) |
|Comment||Gekko hokouensis occasionally hybridizes with Gekko yakuensis (Toda et al. 2001).|
Although G. yakuensis strongly resembles G. hokouensis, it can be discriminated from the latter by possessing a distinctly enlarged internasal as compared to the immediately posterior scales (as large as or slightly larger than in G. hokouensis) and paired apical tubercles, each located anterior to the caudal annular groove, throughout the original tail (absent, or present but usually less than four and rarely eight in the basal region of the original tail in G. hokouensis) [Shibata et al. 1981].
However, Okada (1998), by examining morphological characters of 31 Gekko specimens from southern Kyushu, stated that the conditions of both the internasal and the paired caudal tubercles varied more or less continuously among them, and that seven of the specimens remained unidentified due to the possession of combinations of character states inconsistent with Shibata’s (1981) diagnoses.
- Goris, R.C. & Maeda, N. 2004. Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Japan. Krieger, Malabar, 285 pp.
- Matsui, T., and Y. Okada. 1968. A new species of Gekko found in Yakushima, one of the small island [sic] south of Kyushu. Acta Herpetologica Japonica, 3:1-4
- NGUYEN, TRUONG QUANG; YING-YONG WANG, JIAN-HUAN YANG, TANJA LEHMANN, MINH DUC LE, THOMAS ZIEGLER, MICHAEL BONKOWSKI 2013. A new species of the Gekko japonicus group (Squamata: Sauria: Gekkonidae) from the border region between China and Vietnam. Zootaxa 3652 (5): 501–518 - get paper here
- Okada S. 1998. Examination of gecko specimens collected by Mr. Yasuhiko Shibata around Osumi peninsula in the southern Kyushu (In Japanese with English abstract.). Hibakagaku 185: 7–13.
- Okada S. 1998. A new record of Gekko yakuensis from NichinanKaigan in Miyazaki Prefecture. (In Japanese with English abstract.). Hibakagaku 185: 1–5
- Ota, Hidetoshi 1989. A review of the geckos (Lacertilia: Reptilia) of the Ryukyu Archipelago and Taiwan. in: Matsui et al., eds; Current Herpetology in East Asia: Proceedings of the Second Japan-China Herpetological Symposium Kyoto, July 1988: 222-261
- Rösler, H. 2000. Kommentierte Liste der rezent, subrezent und fossil bekannten Geckotaxa (Reptilia: Gekkonomorpha). Gekkota 2: 28-153
- Shibaike, Y. et al. 2009. Chromosome Evolution in the Lizard Genus Gekko (Gekkonidae, Squamata, Reptilia) in the East Asian Islands. Cytogenet Genome Res 127: 182-190
- Shibata Y. 1981. A new record of the Gekkonid lizard Gekko yakuensis from Tanega-shima Island, Kyushu, Japan (Reptilia: Sauria). (In Japanese with English abstract.). Occasional Paper of the Osaka Museum of Natural History 1: 149–154
- Takeuchi, Hirohiko and Mamoru Toda 2006. A new record of Gekko yakuensis from Magejima Island of the Osumi Group, Japan. Bulletin of the Herpetological Society of Japan 2006(1):26-27. - get paper here
- Toda, M.; Okada, S.; Ota, H.; Hikida, T. 2001. Biochemical assessment of evolution and taxonomy of the morphologically poorly diverged geckos, Gekko yakuensis and G. hokouensis (Reptilia: Squamata) in Japan, with special reference to their occasional hybridization. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 73 (10: 153-165 - get paper here
- Toda, Mamoru and Tsutomu Hikida 2011. Possible Incursions of Gekko hokouensis (Reptilia: Squamata) into Non-Native Area: An Example from Yakushima Island of the Northern Ryukyus, Japan. Current Herpetology 30 (1): 33-39