Leptophis stimsoni HARDING, 1995
We have no photos, try to find some by Google images search:
|Higher Taxa||Colubridae, Colubrinae, Colubroidea, Caenophidia, Alethinophidia, Serpentes, Squamata (snakes) |
|Common Names||E: Trinidad Upland Parrot Snake, Gray Lora |
|Synonym||Leptophis stimsoni HARDING 1995|
Leptophis stimsoni — BOOS 2001
Leptophis stimsoni — MURPHY et al. 2013
Leptophis stimsoni — WALLACH et al. 2014: 374
Type locality: summit of Mt. Aripo (Cerro del Aripo), Trinidad.
|Types||Holotype: BMNH 1922.214.171.124, a 593 mm male (I.T. Sanderson, 1937)/ |
|Comment||This is a very rare species. The first specimen was collected by Sanderson in 1937, and was considered to be L. riveti Despax by Emsley (1977). No other specimens were known until 1987 when two specimens, one from the Arima Valley and another from Cumaca Cave were collected (Murphy 1997; Boos 2001). |
Habitat: partly arboreal (Harrington et al. 2018).
- Beolens, Bo; Michael Watkins, and Michael Grayson 2011. The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, USA - get paper here
- Boos, H.E.A. 2001. The snakes of Trinidad and Tobago. Texas A&M University Press, 270 pp.
- Harding, K.A. 1995. A new species of tree snake of the genus Leptophis Bell 1825 from Mount Aripo, Trinidad. Tropical Zoology 8 (2): 221-226. - get paper here
- Harrington, Sean M; Jordyn M de Haan, Lindsey Shapiro, Sara Ruane 2018. Habits and characteristics of arboreal snakes worldwide: arboreality constrains body size but does not affect lineage diversification. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 125 (1): 61–71 - get paper here
- Hedges SB, Powell R, Henderson RW, Hanson S, and Murphy JC 2019. Definition of the Caribbean Islands biogeographic region, with checklist and recommendations for standardized common names of amphibians and reptiles. Caribbean Herpetology 67: 1–53
- MURPHY, JOHN C.; STEVLAND P. CHARLES, RICHARD M. LEHTINEN & KRISTA L. KOELLER 2013. A molecular and morphological characterization of Oliver’s parrot snake, Leptophis coeruleodorsus (Squamata: Serpentes: Colubridae) with the description of a new species from Tobago. Zootaxa 3718 (6): 561–574 - get paper here
- Wallach, Van; Kenneth L. Williams , Jeff Boundy 2014. Snakes of the World: A Catalogue of Living and Extinct Species. [type catalogue] Taylor and Francis, CRC Press, 1237 pp.
Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator