Lerista aericeps STORR, 1986
We have no photos, try to find some by Google images search:
|Higher Taxa||Scincidae, Sphenomorphinae, Scincoidea, Sauria, Squamata (lizards) |
|Common Names||Desert Plain Slider |
|Synonym||Lerista aericeps STORR 1986|
Lerista aericeps — COGGER 2000: 512
Miculia aericeps — WELLS 2012: 53
|Distribution||Australia (New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland)|
Type locality: 25 km S Alice Springs, Northern Territory
|Types||Holotype: CAWC R1565 (Central Australian Wildlife Collection, Alice Springs); paratypes: WAM |
|Diagnosis||Diagnosis: A small slender Lerista with four fingers, four toes and immovable eyelid (a large transparent disc), distinguishable from L. separanda and L. xanthura by its coppery head, faintly spotted back and tail, and single preocular (rather than two). Further distinguishable from L. separanda by its yellow (rather than red) tail and five (rather than four) supraciliaries. Distinguishable from L. aericeps taeniata by lack of dark upper lateral stripe. |
|Etymology||From Latin aes (copper) and ceps (head). |
- Cogger, H. G. 2014. Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, 7th ed. CSIRO Publishing, xxx + 1033 pp.
- Cogger, H.G. 2000. Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, 6th ed. Ralph Curtis Publishing, Sanibel Island, 808 pp.
- Couper, P., Covacevich, J., Amey, A. & Baker, A. 2006. The genera of skinks (Family Scincidae) of Australia and its island territories: diversity, distribution and identification. in: Merrick, J.R., Archer, M., Hickey, G.M. & Lee, M.S.Y. (eds.). Evolution and Zoogeography of Australasian Vertebrates. Australian Scientific Publishing, Sydney, pp. 367-384
- Skinner, Adam; Michael S Y Lee and Mark N Hutchinson 2008. Rapid and repeated limb loss in a clade of scincid lizards. [Lerista]. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:310 - get paper here
- Storr G M 1986. A new species of Lerista (Lacertilia: Scincidae) with two subspecies from central Australia. Rec. West. Austr. Mus. 13 (1) 1986: 145-149 - get paper here
- Storr G M. 1991. Revision of Lerista aericeps (Lacertilia: Scincidae) of central Australia. Rec. West. Austr. Mus. 51 (2): 365-370. - get paper here
- Wilson, S. & Swan, G. 2010. A complete guide to reptiles of Australia, 3rd ed. Chatswood: New Holland, 558 pp.
Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator