Lerista ameles GREER, 1979
We have no photos, try to find some by Google images search:
|Higher Taxa||Scincidae, Sphenomorphinae, Scincoidea, Sauria, Squamata (lizards) |
|Common Names||Limbless Fine-lined Slider |
|Synonym||Lerista ameles GREER 1979|
Gavisus ameles — WELLS & WELLINGTON 1984
Lerista ameles — COGGER 2000: 512
Gavisus ameles — WELLS 2012: 109
Lerista ameles — WILSON & SWAN 2010
Type locality: 19. 7 km W of the junction of the Kennedy and Gulf Highways along the Gulf Highway, NE Qld.
- Region according to the TDWG standard, not a precise distribution map.
NOTE: TDWG regions are generated automatically from the text in the distribution field and not in every cases it works well. We are working on it.
|Types||Holotype: QM J30004 |
|Comment||Limb reduction: This is only one of two species of Lerista with no external trace of limbs (along with L. apoda).|
- Amey, A.P. & Couper, P.J. 2009. A new limb-reduced skink (Scincidae: Lerista) from the dry rainforest of north Queensland, Australia. Zootaxa 2173: 19–30 - get paper here
- Cogger, H. G. 2014. Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, 7th ed. CSIRO Publishing, xxx + 1033 pp.
- Cogger,H.G. 2000. Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, 6th ed. Ralph Curtis Publishing, Sanibel Island, 808 pp.
- Greer A E 1979. A new species of Lerista (Lacertilia: Scincidae) from northern Queensland, with remarks on the origin of the genus. Rec. Austral. Mus. 32 (10): 383-388 - get paper here
- Greer,A.E. 1990. Limb reduction in the scincid lizard genus Lerista. 2. Variation in the bone complements of the front and rear limbs and the number of postsacral vertebrae. Journal of Herpetology 24 (2): 142-150 - get paper here
- Skinner, Adam; Michael S Y Lee and Mark N Hutchinson 2008. Rapid and repeated limb loss in a clade of scincid lizards. [Lerista]. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:310 - get paper here
- Wells R W; Wellington C R 1984. A synopsis of the class Reptilia in Australia. Australian Journal of Herpetology 1 (3-4): 73-129 
- Wiens, J.J. 2009. Estimating rates and patterns of morphological evolution from phylogenies: lessons in limb lability from Australian Lerista lizards. Journal of Biology 2009, 8:19 - get paper here
- Wilson, S. & Swan, G. 2010. A complete guide to reptiles of Australia, 3rd ed. Chatswood: New Holland, 558 pp.
Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator