Sceloporus maculosus SMITH, 1934
We have no photos, try to find some by Google images search:
|Higher Taxa||Phrynosomatidae, Sceloporinae; Iguania, Sauria, Squamata (lizards) |
|Common Names||E: Spotted Spiny Lizard, Northern Snub-nosed Lizard|
S: Lagartija Chata del Norte
|Synonym||Sceloporus maculosus SMITH 1934|
Sceloporus maculosus — SMITH & TAYLOR 1950: 132
Sceloporus maculosus — LINER 1994
Sceloporus maculosus — BELL et al. 2003
|Distribution||Mexico (EC Durango, Zacatecas, Coahuila)|
Type locality: 14 miles northeast of Pedriceña, Durango.
- Region according to the TDWG standard, not a precise distribution map.
NOTE: TDWG regions are generated automatically from the text in the distribution field and not in every cases it works well. We are working on it.
|Types||Holotype: FMNH 32007 (formerly EHT-HMS 7638) collected 29 August 1932 by E. H. Taylor and |
H. M. Smith
|Etymology||The Latin noun maculosus, "spotted" or "dappled" refers to the white dots scattered over dorsal surfaces of body and limbs. |
- Baker, Rollin H.; Baker, Mary W.; Johnson, Jerry D.; Webb, Robert G. 1981. New records of mammals and reptiles from Northwestern Zacatecas, Mexico. Southwestern Naturalist 25(4):568-569 - get paper here
- Bell, E.L.; Smith, H.M. & Chiszar, D. 2003. AN ANNOTATED LIST OF THE SPECIES-GROUP NAMES APPLIED TO THE LIZARD GENUS SCELOPORUS. Acta Zoologica Mexicana (n.s.) 90: 103-174 - get paper here
- Cole, Charles J. 1971. Karyotypes of five monotypic species groups of lizards in the genus Sceloporus. American Museum Novitates (2450): 1-17 - get paper here
- Ezaz, T. et al. 2009. Sex Chromosome Evolution in Lizards: Independent Origins and Rapid Transitions. Cytogenet Genome Res 127: 249-260 - get paper here
- Leaché, A.D. 2010. Species trees for spiny lizards (Genus Sceloporus): Identifying points of concordance and conflict between nuclear and mitochondrial data. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 54: 162–171 - get paper here
- Leaché, A.D. & J.W.Sites, Jr. 2009. Chromosome Evolution and Diversification in North American Spiny Lizards (Genus Sceloporus). Cytogenet Genome Res 127: 166-181 - get paper here
- Lemos-Espinal, J.A. & Smith, H.M. 2007. Amphibians and reptiles of the state of Coahuila, Mexico. Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, 550 pp.
- Smith, H. M. 1939. The Mexican and Central American lizards of the genus Sceloporus. Field Mus. Nat. Hist., Zool. Ser. 26: 1-397. - get paper here
- Smith,H.M. 1934. Descriptions of new lizards of the genus Sceloporus from Mexico and Southern United States. Trans Kansas Acad. Sci. 37: 263-285 - get paper here
- Smith,H.M. & Taylor,E.H. 1950. An annotated checklist and key to the reptiles of Mexico exclusive of the snakes. Bull. US Natl. Mus. 199: 1-253 - get paper here
- Valdez-Lares, R.; R. Muñiz-Martínez; E.Gadsden; G. Aguirre-León; G. Castañeda-Gaytán; R. Gonzalez-Trápaga 2013. Checklist of amphibians and reptiles of the state of Durango, México. Check List 9 (4):714-724 - get paper here
Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator