|Distribution||S India (Gujarat, Hills of Peninsular India. Western Ghats south of the Goa Gap to Tinnevelly; Eastern Ghats: Shevaroys, Coimbatore district, South Arcot, Jalarpet, Vizagapatam distriet, Ganjam; Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra).|
Type locality: “Madras”, India
Type locality: ,,Pulney hills, Goleondah hills. [Silybura punctata GÜNTHER]
- Region according to the TDWG standard, not a precise distribution map.
NOTE: TDWG regions are generated automatically from the text in the distribution field and not in every cases it works well. We are working on it.
|Types||Holotype: BMNH 19220.127.116.11|
Syntypes [Silybura punctata GÜNTHER]: BMNH 1918.104.22.168 (Golcondah hills), 1922.214.171.124 —19126.96.36.199 (Pulney bills). BMNH 19188.8.131.52 (formerly 184.108.40.206, Nilgiris, Anamallays, 2,000—4,000 feet) is labelled type but should be excluded from the type series because of the different locality (fide GANS 1966).
- Beddome,R.H. 1886. An account of the earth snakes of the Peninsula of India and Ceylon. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. (5) 17: 3-33. - get paper here
- Boulenger, G.A. 1893. Catalogue of the snakes in the British Museum (Nat. Hist.) I. London (Taylor & Francis), 448 pp. - get paper here
- Chettri, Basundhara & S. Bhupathy 2010. Three little known reptile species from the Araku Valley, Eastern Ghats with notes on their distribution. Journal of Threatened Taxa 2 (8): 1109-1113 - get paper here
- Gray, J.E. 1858. On a new genus and several new species of Uropeltidae in the collection of the British Museum. Proc. Zool. Soc. London 1858: 260-265. - get paper here
- Gray,J.E. 1858. On a new genus and several new species of Uropeltidae in the collection of the British Museum. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. (3) 2: 376-381 - get paper here
- Günther, A. 1864. The Reptiles of British India. London (Taylor & Francis), xxvii + 452 pp. - get paper here
- Günther,A. 1875. Second report on collections of Indian Reptiles obtained bv the British Museum. Proc. Zool. Soc. London 1875: 224-234 - get paper here
- Guptha, M. Bubesh; P.V. Chalapathi Rao, D. Srinivas Reddy, P. Madhu Babu & SRSC. Sekhar Manddala 2013. New Record of Elliot’s Shieldtail (Gray, 1858) in Seshachalam Biosphere Reserve, Eastern Ghats, Andhra Pradesh, India. Reptile Rap (15): 7-8 - get paper here
- Kannan, P.; Bhupathy, S. 1997. Occurrence of the Elliot's Shieldtail snake (Uropeltis ellioti) in Anaikatty Hills, Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. Cobra 28: 34-35
- McDiarmid,R.W.; Campbell,J.A. & Touré,T.A. 1999. Snake species of the world. Vol. 1. Herpetologists’ League, 511 pp.
- Mukherjee, Debanik & S. Bhupathy 2004. Uropeltis ellioti in the diet of Naja naja. Hamadryad 28 (1&2): 109-110 - get paper here
- Murthy, T.S.N. 2010. The reptile fauna of India. B.R. Publishing, New Delhi, 332 pp.
- Sharma, R. C. 2004. Handbook Indian Snakes. AKHIL BOOKS, New Delhi, 292 pp.
- Smith, M.A. 1943. The Fauna of British India, Ceylon and Burma, Including the Whole of the Indo-Chinese Sub-Region. Reptilia and Amphibia. 3 (Serpentes). Taylor and Francis, London. 583 pp.
- VYAS, R. & V. PRAJAPATI 2010. Notizen zu Reptilien aus den Salher Hills, Nord - Sahyadri, Bundesstaat Maharashtra, Indien. Sauria 32 (4): 70-74 - get paper here
- Vyas, Raju 2007. Herptofauna of Puma Wildlife Sanctuary, Gujarat, India. Reptile Rap (8): 10-15 - get paper here
- Wadatkar, J.S. & M.P. Chikhale 2010. First record of Uropeltis ellioti and study of their habits and habitat in Melghat Forest in Satpuda. Reptile Rap (9): 4-5 - get paper here
- Whitaker, Romulus<br />and Ashok Captain 2004. Snakes of India. Draco Books, 500 pp. - get paper here