|Higher Taxa||Gekkonidae, Gekkota, Sauria, Squamata (lizards: geckos) |
|Common Names||E: Illingworth's Gecko, Sri Lankan Golden Gecko, Great Rock gecko|
Sinhala: Maha gal huna
|Synonym||Calodactylodes illingworthi DERANIYAGALA 1953: 49|
Calodactylodes illingworthi — WERMUTH 1965: 11
Calodactylodes illingworthorum — BAUER & DAS 2000
Calodactylodes illingworthi — RÖSLER 2000: 61
Calodactylodes illingworthorum — MICHELS & BAUER 2004
|Distribution||Sri Lanka (Nuvara Gala Rock)|
Type locality: Nuvara Gala Rock (elevation: 1200 feet) near Maha Oya, Eastern Province, Sri Lanka.
|Types||Holotype: NMSL = CNM; paratypes: BMNH |
|Diagnosis||Description: This gecko is closely allied to the Indian Calodactylodes aureus (Beddome), from which it differs in possessing preanal pores, and a row of black and yellow vertebral spots. Head subovate, wider than body, snout longer than distance from eye to ear, ear an oblique slit, tail more or less segmented, feebly depressed, subovate in transverse section.|
Scalation. Both supra and infra labials 12 or 13, one or two rows of enlarged, lateral gulars, two internasals, nostril between four scales, mental smaller than adjacent labials, ventrals subimbricate upon chest, subrectangular and juxtaposed upon abdomen, rectangular and more enlarged on tail.
Pores. Four preanals separated mesially by three scales, two to five femorals close to each knee joint Pores surrounded by large scales.
Coloration: Dorsally a yellow ochre with dark brown dots and a neural row of six subovate dark brown spots somewhat smaller than the eye anteriorly larger posteriorly, with a bluish spot of equal size before and behind each and a lateral row of bluish spots. Tail mottled with brown and with ten yellow cross bands. Four irregular dark cross bars alternating with yellow ones from coarse reticulations upon each limb. Ventrally greyish white with a bright yellow gular patch (from Deraniyagala 1953, reproduced in Amarasinghe et al. 2009).
|Etymology||Named after Margaret and Percy Illingworth. As the name honours two people named Illingworth, the specific epithet is incorrect and must be emended to illingworthorum according to BAUER & DAS (2000). |
- Amarasinghe, A. A. T., A. M. Bauer, I. Ineich, J. Rudge, M. M. Bahir & D. E. Gabadage 2009. The original descriptions and figures of Sri Lankan gekkonid lizards (Squamata: Gekkonidae) of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Taprobanica 1 (2): 83-106
- Bauer, A.M. & I. Das 2000. A review of the gekkonid genus Calodactylodes (Reptilia: Squamata) from India and Sri Lanka. J.South Asian Nat. Hist., Colombo, 5 (1): 25-35
- Das, Indraneil & Abhijit Das 2017. A Naturalist’s Guide to the Reptiles of India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. John Beaufoy Publishing Ltd., Oxford, 176 pp.
- Deraniyagala, P.E.P. 1953. A new Calodactylodes gecko from Ceylon. J. Roy. Asiatic Soc. (Ceylon) 3: 27-28
- Kandamby, DharmaSri 1997. Herpetological types reposed in the National Museum Colombo, Sri Lanka. Lyriocephalus 3 (1): 31-33
- Karunarathna, D. M. S. S. & A. A. T. Amarasinghe 2011. NATURAL HISTORY AND CONSERVATION STATUS OF CALODACTYLODES ILLINGWORTHORUM DERANIYAGALA, 1953 (SAURIA: GEKKONIDAE) IN SOUTH-EASTERN SRI LANKA. Herpetotropicos 6 (1-2): 05-10 - get paper here
- Karunarathna, D. M. S. S. and A. A. T. Amarasinghe 2008. Current Distribution pattern, Ecology and Conservation of Calodactylodes illingworthorum Deraniyagala, 1953 (Reptilia: Gekkonidae: Gekkoninae) from Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the International symposium of Forestry and Environment, University of Sri Jayawardanapura: 64.
- Karunarathna, Suranjan D. M. S. and A. A. Thasun Amarasinghe 2011. A PRELIMINARY SURVEY OF THE REPTILE FAUNA IN NILGALA FOREST AND ITS VICINITY, MONARAGALA DISTRICT, SRI LANKA. Taprobanica 3 (2): 69-76 - get paper here
- Michels, J.P. & A.M. Bauer 2004. Some corrections to the scientific names of amphibians and reptiles. Bonner Zoologische Beiträge 52: 83–94  - get paper here
- Rathnayake, Nimal D. 2005. The Great Rock Gecko (Calodactylodes iIIingworthorum) of Sri Lanka. Gekko 4 (2): 42-44
- Rösler, H. 2000. Kommentierte Liste der rezent, subrezent und fossil bekannten Geckotaxa (Reptilia: Gekkonomorpha). Gekkota 2: 28-153
- Silva, Anslem de; Aaron M. Bauer, B.J.K. Perera, R.L. Jayaratne, M. Goonasekera, S. Goonawardena, Z. Hawke, V. Vanneck and A. Drion 2005. Some Aspects of the Knowledge of and Attitudes Towards Geckos by Students near the Nilgala Forest, Sri Lanka. Gekko 4 (2): 32-36
- Somaweera, R. & Somaweera, N. 2009. Lizards of Sri Lanka: a colour guide with field keys. Chimaira, Frankfurt, 304 pp.
- Wickramasinghe, Mendis & Ruchira Somaweera 2002. Distribution and Current Status of the Endemic Geckos of Sri Lanka. Gekko 3 (1): 2-13
- Ziesmann, S.; Janzen, P. & Klaas, P. 2007. Die Vielfalt der Geckos [Sri Lankas]. Draco 7 (30): 38-44 - get paper here