Carlia quinquecarinata (MACLEAY, 1877)
We have no photos, try to find some by Google images search:
|Higher Taxa||Scincidae, Eugongylinae, Scincoidea, Sauria, Squamata (lizards) |
|Common Names||E: Five-carinated Rainbow Skink |
|Synonym||Heteropus quinquecarinatus MACLEAY 1877: 67|
Carlia quinquecarinata — DONNELLAN et al. 2009
Carlia quinquecarinata — WILSON & SWAN 2010
|Distribution||Australia (Darnley Island [= Erub Island] (9°35'S, 143°46'E) Torres Strait and probably also Murray Island (9°56'S, 144°04'E). This taxon may also occur in New Guinea (see discussion in DONNELLAN et al. 2009).|
Type locality: Darnley Is., Torres Strait, Qld (9°35'S, 143°46'E).
|Types||Lectotype: AMS (AM) R31873; (formerly MAMU R98, part), lectotype designated by Ingram & Covacevich, 1989. |
|Diagnosis||Diagnosis: A large, heavy-bodied member of the C. fusca group usually possessing large, longitudinally aligned, dark- edged, pale dashes on the dorsum and a midlateral line (where present) broken into a series of dashes anterior to the forelimb - a pattern not seen in C. longipes or C. sexdentata [from DONNELLAN et al. 2009]. |
|Comment||Synonymy: Has been previously synonymized with C. longipes but revalidated by DONNELLAN et al. 2009. |
- Cogger, H. G. 2014. Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, 7th ed. CSIRO Publishing, xxx + 1033 pp. - get paper here
- Cogger, H.G. 2000. Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, 6th ed. Ralph Curtis Publishing, Sanibel Island, 808 pp.
- Covacevich, J. 1971. Amphibian and reptile type specimens in the Queensland Museum. [type catalogue] Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 16: 49-68
- De Vis, C. W. 1885. A conspect of the genus Heteropus. Proc. Roy. Soc. Queensland 1: 166-173 - get paper here
- Dolman, Gaynor & Andrew F. Hugall 2008. Combined mitochondrial and nuclear data enhance resolution of a rapid radiation of Australian rainbow skinks (Scincidae: Carlia). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 49 (3): 782-794 - get paper here
- DONNELLAN, S.C.; P.J. COUPER, K. M. SAINT & L. WHEATON 2009. Systematics of the Carlia ‘fusca’ complex (Reptilia: Scincidae) from northern Australia. Zootaxa 2227: 1-31 - get paper here
- Ingram G; Covacevich J 1989. Revision of the genus Carlia (Reptilia, Scincidae) in Australia with comments on Carlia bicarinata of New Guinea. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 27 (2): 443-490
- Macleay, W. 1877. The lizards of the Chevert Expedition. Proc. Linn. Soc. New South Wales 2: 60-69; 97-104 - get paper here
- Mitchell, F. J. 1953. A brief revision of the four-fingered members of the genus Leiolopisma (Lacertilia). Rec. South Austral. Mus. 11: 75-90 - get paper here
- Wilson, S. & Swan, G. 2010. A complete guide to reptiles of Australia, 3rd ed. Chatswood: New Holland, 558 pp.
- Zug,G. R. 2004. Systematics of the Carlia “fusca” lizards (Squamata: Scincidae) of New Guinea and Nearby Islands. Bishop Mus. Bull. Zool. 5: 1-83
Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator