- BARRETT, PAUL 2017. Observations of insect egg predation by the northern grass skink Oligosoma aff. polychroma Clade 1a. BioGecko (4): 70-72
- Chapple, D.G.; Hitchmough, R.A.; Jewell, T.R. 2009. Taxonomic instability of reptiles and frogs in New Zealand: information to aid the use of Jewell (2008) for species identification [a comment on King 2009 and further commented by Jewell]. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 36: 59–71
- Chapple, David G.; Peter A. Ritchie, Charles H. Daugherty 2009. Origin, diversification, and systematics of the New Zealand skink fauna (Reptilia: Scincidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 52 (2): 470-487 - get paper here
- Cree, Alison and Kelly M. Hare 2016. Reproduction and Life History of New Zealand Lizards. in: Chapple, D.G. (ed). New Zealand Lizards. Springer, pp. 169-206 - get paper here
- FRANK, HERMANN 2017. Salvage of southern grass skinks (Oligosoma aff. polychroma Clade 5) in an old riverbed of the Rangitata South Branch, Canterbury, New Zealand. BioGecko (4): 35-48
- Gollin, J. F., Gorman, N., & Armstrong, D. P. 2020. Twenty years on: changes in lizard encounter rates following eradication of rats from Kāpiti Island. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 45(1),  - get paper here
- HICKSON, Robert E.; KERRYN E. SLACK AND PETER LOCKHART 2000. Phylogeny recapitulates geography, or why New Zealand has so many species of skinks. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 70: 415–433 - get paper here
- Hitchmough, Rodney A.; Geoffrey B. Patterson, and David G. Chapple 2016. Putting a Name to Diversity: Taxonomy of the New Zealand Lizard Fauna. in: Chapple, D.G. (ed). New Zealand Lizards. Springer, pp. 87-108 - get paper here
- Jewell, Tony 2008. A Photographic Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of New Zealand [with corrections and comments in Chapple & Hitchmough 2009]. New Holland Publishers (NZ) Ltd,Auckland, 143 pp.
- Patterson, G.B. and Daugherty, C.H. 1990. Four new species and one new subspecies of skinks, genus Leiolopisma (Reptilia: Lacertilia: Scincidae) from New Zealand. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 20 (1): 65-84 [erratum p. 252] - get paper here
- Patterson, G.B.; Daugherty, C.H. 1995. Reinstatement of the genus Oligosoma (Reptilia: Lacertilia: Scincidae). J. Royal Soc. New Zealand 25 (3): 327-331 - get paper here
- REES, GLENDA 2014. In dire straits: grey-faced heron predating on southern grass skink (Oligosoma polychroma Clade 5). BioGecko (2): 50 - get paper here
- van Winkel, D., Baling, M. & Hitchmough, R. 2018. Reptiles and Amphibians of New Zealand: A field guide. Auckland University Press, Auckland, 376 pp.
- VERHAEGH, SJUUL 2015. Photo Gallery: White-faced herons predating on southern grass skinks. BioGecko (3): 74